Lego Advent Calendar Creation

Back in October, I found a bag of Lego Minecraft and just Minecraft toys at the thrift store.  Knowing that a single advent calendar runs the upwards of $20, I happily paid that for the bag that I bought.

I spent some time brainstorming, and decided that I would take some of our Legos to make a 'scene' for each of my dear ones.  My original thought was that I would make a 'booklet' for each of them, but decided to save the paper and just make each day a blog post (then there would be no peeking!) = )

So, one day, I picked out every green and brown Lego from our Lego bin!  I was really worried that someone would notice, but the twins played with the Legos (twice!) and didn't remark or notice that the brown and green bricks were missing. = )

The next time I found myself with a large stretch of time, I started picking out Legos of which we had five matching or coordinating versions.  Then, it was time to start creating scenes!




I left them mostly assembled (the trees had to come down) and stored them in the empty Aldi beer advent calendar that I claimed to repurpose into their advent calendar.  We hadn't opened any of the doors, and it was a good size.  I had intended to put some Lego/Minecraft stickers on it to make it more festive, but after I finished all the pictures and baggies, I had no motivation left.

After playing with the lighting and camera settings, I finally settled on what I wanted, and took over 300 pictures (a minimum of 3 pictures per child per 24 days!)  I started with the end product, took the pictures, labeled the bag, put the pieces in the bag, then placed them in the appropriate 'door.' Eventually all that was left was the starting platform!

The final step was uploading and making a scheduled blog post for each day.  Sometimes the pictures loaded backwards, and it was easier to move around two pictures for each child than to reverse the entire order.  And, by being a little bit lazy, Juliet wasn't always last!  But William was always in the middle. lol.

So, on Day one, I emailed the kids the link to my blog, and they started building!

Juliet building her scene before school one day:


A week or so in, William stopped building his, so we got him a basket to hold all of his unused pieces (so that they wouldn't get mixed in with everyone else's builds.


The almost finished product!


It was quite an endeavour, but I think that the girls really enjoyed it, and they all got some cute little Minecraft characters, and the Legos will go right back in the bin, with a few new additions! = )

later days

No comments:

Post a Comment