Fourth Grade Author Party

After months of working on their research projects for Underrepresented people, the twins' class finally got to 'publish' their work!  They had a party to commemorate the occasion, and I do love to party, so when their teacher said he was thinking 'fancy' I was on it!

I was hoping for a chocolate fountain, but was still quite happy with this juice fountain from the Mason FUMC rummage sale! (my total for everything I bought was $18.)  By carrying it in in a box filled with other things, I was able to keep it from the twins, so that they could also be surprised. = )


Grace had a balloon arch kit that she got with Avia from a free box at some point, and was excited to build and contribute it as a decoration for the party. 


Kristy and I hit a rummage sale the morning of the event, and I scored some adorable little cups to hold some flowers that were blooming right outside my kitchen window*!


I also scored some shiny candles to add to the doily centerpieces.


I got to be the one parent volunteer for the party, and felt very privileged to be there and see all of their hard work on display!

On party day, I arrived about an hour before the party was due to start, and worked every moment of it to transform this corner from school to fancy.  Hanging the foil wall decorations really made it feel so special!  I was able to hide the empties behind it, and so it looked really pretty and uncluttered!


Grace wanted to make cupcakes with blue icing (though I did advise against it, she was set on blue.)  We also brought in a tube of chocolate eclairs and cream puffs.  Someone else sent in the oreos and yet a third person sent in the cereal bars! 


Ms. Shay made these adorable little display signs to go around the table!


There were nine bottles of sparkling grape juice, and 6 bottles of regular apple juice, to go through the fountain.  The fourth graders polished off all the bottles of sparkling juice and drank somewhere around 3 of the apple juice bottles.  In the future, I would also provide some water, as many of them were hot and thirsty, but really didn't need more sugar.


Instead of having platters of crackers & meat & cheese, I was instructed to separate them into servings, which I think was a good call.  It minimized time at the table, and ensured that everyone got a little bit.  I didn't bring the meat and cheese or crackers, I don't know if it were sent in or their teacher made it happen.  Either way, the kids really liked it!


The overall effect was nice, and I think the kids felt how special many of the adults in the school felt their work was!



I was a little sad that I didn't make it all the way through Grace's presentation on Bessie Coleman, before having to rush off to attend the table again.  I didn't even get to start Juliet's presentation, though she wrote about Toni Morrison. 

Then, just as fast as it started, the party was over and clean up began.  It took far less time to pull it down than it did to set it up!  I'm really glad I got to be a part of their celebration.

later days

*I had recently listened to an audio cookbook, and in it she is a huge proponent of bringing unexpected or beautiful things inside to make everything feel novel and special. = )

edit 5-27-24: backdated for continuity.

No comments:

Post a Comment