Chinese Takeout Murder Mystery Party

Just in time for the Lunar New Year, I rounded up some of the usual suspects for another murder mystery party!  

The forecasted cold of February had me plan the party indoors, though had we kept the outdoor heaters, we might have been able to get away with a porch party again!

Buying used copies of the game has disadvantages, like missing invitations.  So, I had to create my own using information found online.

The game was set in 1993, which was the year of the rooster.  I thought it would be fun to have some napkin party favors, so I spent 6 evening watching Murder, She Wrote and embroidering some stylized roosters onto red fabric.



Once the embroidery was complete, I ironed and finished the edges. 

I thought they came out pretty cute, and gave me a craft to work on as the party approached. = )

For some reason the fabric looks pink in this close up, but it's really red!

Billy was a 'chef' so I bought him a Wendy's apron!



Horrocks had a Chinese beer in stock, so naturally I got some! 

I also went by a liquor store to get some authentic Baijiu.  It was their last bottle!

And, I found some cocktail glasses that looked unique enough to grace our table!

Testing out the red tablecloth and fabric circle (that I inherited from one of the Mops' themes years and years ago!)  We decided to take out one of the leaves, since the tablecloth barely covered the table end to end.

A copy of one of the zodiac coloring pages that the twins had in library.


With the busy week just before the party, I decorated few days early, so that I could fit everything in the week leading up to the party.


I was so tempted to buy the bucket, just for the rooster chopstick holder!!


Billy and I had a long discussion about the cat not being Chinese, and him not wanting it at the party.  I found multiple sources online that verified that they sell them in China.

And when I went to pick up the wontons at a Chinese restaurant, I sent him a picture of their cat!!!


Setting up the table!!!!



Aldi's Fusia line was the majority of our dinner, though I did reheat the Crab Rangoons, instead of trying to make them myself.

Billy played bartender with the Baijiu and made a "rooster comb" for each of us.  As pretty as they turned out, they were awful.  Like so bad.  Noone finished their drink. Luckily, we had the chinese beer, and plum wine and sake (the latter two I bought because I thought the bottles would look pretty on the table!) to help clear our pallets. 

Our guests came all decked out in their best!!  Natalie & Steve brought some delicious almond cookies, which complimented the food perfectly, and Kim & Mark brought a gorgeous fruit tray that completed the look of the table (and tasted really good too!)

Natalie was staying with the deceased in order to study the western way of life, Steve was her driver, Kim was her "estranged daughter," Mark was a police officer from Hong Kong, Billy was her chef, and I was her live in nurse! 

One of us killed her, but who was it?

This year, no one accused the perpetrator, they got away with murder!!!!  And that person was:

(click to reveal the murderer)

It was a lovely, fun night with a great group of people, and I can't wait to do it again!!!  We missed Kristy and David, who will be playing this game in a few weeks with a different crew.  Can't wait to see their pictures!

later days

P.S. A few short weeks after the party, I was shopping at my regular thrift store and came across these adorable, personalized towels that I could have passed out as favors, had I found them sooner!!!! = )


 3-1-24 edit: backdated for continuity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment